Grass and Grassy Weed ID Field Class
Where: Midwest Golf House, Sunshine Course and Clubhouse
Session I – Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 2:00 to 6:00 p.m. Session II – Wednesday, September 9, 2015, 2:00 to 6:00 p.m.
Each session is limited to 24 registrants.
Offered in two parts (May 27 and September 9, 2015) Dr. Tom Voigt will lead a hands-on Grassy Weed and Turf ID Field Class at the Midwest Golf House in Lemont, Illinois. Taught in two sessions, each class will feature plants that are actively growing during that time of year. Participants will learn through hands-on evaluation and learning proven techniques to properly identify the plants outlined below.
The May session will feature:
- Introduction to the Grass Plant Family (Poaceae)
- Grass morphology – important parts of the plant to know for identification.
- Kentucky and annual Bluegrasses
- Perennial ryegrass, annual ryegrass
- Fine-leaf fescues: creeping red, Chewings, hard, and sheep
- Creeping bentgrass
- Tall fescue
- Smooth and downy bromegrass
- Squirreltail Barley
- Reed canarygrass
- Popular cool season ornamental grass plants
The session will also focus on confusing look a like plants and how to quickly tell them apart using unique characteristics to each species.
During the September Session, we will review all plants from the first session and add the following plant list:
- Barnyard grass
Registration fee for each class is $85 or $150 if you sign up for both. The fee includes “Identifying Turf and Weedy Grasses of the Northern United States”, hand lens, dissecting scissors, handouts and refreshments.